Monday, October 14, 2013

Places I have been: The Florida Keys

Over the summer I went to the Florida Keys for a college class I was taking. It was an oceanography class, so we got to snorkel almost everyday we were down there. We snorkeled on each side of the Keys, in the ocean and in the Florida Bay as well as around mangrove sites. It was amazing.

I'll admit I was kind of afraid at first. When I am at the beach I am VERY cautious as to how far I go into the ocean. But the clear water in the Keys did help me relax. Until I saw a 4 foot shark while I was standing on the dock where we had just snorkeled.....

We saw all types of fish and underwater scenery, it is like a whole new world you are discovering! I highly recommend it.

We didn't get to do much else besides snorkel and hang out at the lab we were staying at, but we did get to see a few sights around the area.

On the way down we stopped at Everglades National Park and walked around for a little. It was HOT. If you are going to go to the
Everglades I would suggest not going in the middle of the day in late July/Early August. Bring PLENTY of water as well.

One day we stopped at Bahia Honda State Park on our way to Key West for the night. I snorkeled for a little and explored the area. It was nice and relaxing and there was plenty to see. I wish we had longer than a few hours to explore.

We stopped at the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane Memorial while we were out one day. I was excited about this because in one of my classes I had just read a book all about this hurricane. The monument is made of limestone and has fossils in it!

We went to Windley Key Fossil Park the same day and looked at the fossils made in the limestone. The Hurricane monument was made from the limestone that was found here.

Key West has the most amazing sunsets!!




Key West was a lot of fun! We bought coconuts and drank the water from them. The man we bought them from drilled a hole in them with a power drill and stuck a straw in them and we drank straight from them. Then we got our pictures taken with the monument saying Key West is the furthest south point in the continental USA.
It really is Paradise USA











After that, we walked around the city, went to a few bars, went in some stores, ate dinner, then met up to watch the sunset. We had to leave before the sunset, but here is a picture taken that night.
Absolutely gorgeous! I can't believe people actually get to live here and see this all the time!
Here are some pictures I took of sunsets:










 If you ever get the chance to go to the Florida Keys, GO! The Keys are beautiful!!!!













Just look at this beautiful water!!











                                              Check out the video I made about my trip:


No comments:

Post a Comment